22 September 2014

The Completed Table

The process of having this table manufactured was a great learning experience, however I would not like to be an industrial designer, who I would imagine does this on a regular basis. I sourced manufacturers during the varsity recces period as it was basically the only available time I had to do so. 
At this point I would like to give credit to and thank my mother for helping with phone calls and directions while I drove all over town to these different people, she's such a doll and this would have been extremely difficult to do without her!

The photos that follow are of the final product which I am very satisfied with. And the process was relatively headache free!


Assembled, from the side


Puzzle and wing-nut detail

From above, the concentric nature of the paint technique and puzzle is very apparent

Close up of brilliant welding job
A 1:2 scale model to show the design of the coffee maker (my second product)

There are still a few tweaks that need to be made until it is perfect:

  • The hole through the puzzle pieces is skew and therefore the pieces don't turn all the way inside each other.
  • The pin onto which the top fits is too long so that needs to be cut down.
  • A change to the design will be made to remove the wing-nut and instead have the smallest puzzle piece simply fit onto the pin as a 'cap'. Therefore the hole in this piece needs to be filled and re-drilled but only about 4mm deep from the underside.
Hope you enjoyed the design!

No comments:

Post a Comment